Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Some Days are Better Than Others

As a pastor, I can honestly say that "bad" days are few and far between.  I love what I do and it is not a job, but a call on my  life. But, as they say, "into every life a little rain must fall" and yesterday was not a good day. I can't, I won't go into details.

Lots of time, it is not what has happened, but how you respond to what has happened that make a difference.  For a while I was confused and maybe even a little hurt by the events that took place. And, I admit, I rather pouted most of the afternoon.

Evening came and I needed to get out my tractor and my chainsaw, two of my favorite things.  A tree had come down on our property and it necessitated being cut up and hauled off with the tractor.  It was a good distraction, physical work and did I mention I got to be operate my tractor?

As I was hauling the cut up logs and brush I had time to think.  The terrain made it necessary to go slow and it gave me time to have an internal conversation with myself.  I do my best thinking on my tractor.

Finally things began to come into perspective.  Did I like what had happened earlier in the day? No. Did I wish that things had happened differently? Yes. In times like this, I often will ask myself, "What would I say to someone who came to my office and asked for counsel in this area?"  The answer, to some is way oversimplified and may even seem trite, but I would tell them to "give it to God."

Obviously that  seems easy from the outside looking in, but there is great truth in it's simplicity. In life there are often situations that we cannot change. And so we have a choice. One is to worry and fret and stew or the other is to move forward in faith. God cares deeply for us. He wants to take our burdens.  The problem is that we like to be in control.  We like to decide our destiny.

1 Peter 5:6-8 (NIV) says "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.  Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

When problems and issues arrive we need to first humble ourselves.  We have to recognize that we are not the omnipotent ruler of our universe and that there are things that we cannot control and probably  if we could control them that we would only make a mess or them. We have to submit to God and recognize that He is indeed the ruler of all. That He is infinitely wiser than we are and he loves us in a way we never could imagine.  We are to "cast all your anxiety on Him."  All those things that I cannot change and have no control over I am to give to God.  If you notice, failure you to do so gives the devil an open door. I get it.  Hanging on to things leads to bitterness. Bitterness often leads to sinful actions.

So, you know what? I gave that bad day to God.  I simply asked him to forgive me for all the self-pitying, angry thoughts I had.  I than said to God, "I can't handle this and I am going to trust you to do what I can't."  Are things going to change to my liking. Maybe. Maybe not. But it doesn't mater. God will guide my life and steer my actions as long as I trust him. That's all I can do. That's all He wants to do.

Pastor Jeff,

LifePointe Alliance, Franklin Park welcomes you to worship with us on Sunday mornings at 11:00 am.  For more information check us out at www.lifepointealliance.org. You can also like us on Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment

letting go

I sometimes struggle to let things go. Our youngest son recently started his new life away from home and I will confess that while I was exc...